Re: Sans Font for Lilypond texts?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Sans Font for Lilypond texts?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:24:58 +0200

If all you want to do is to get a Sans font for lyrics, it's just to redefine the corresponding font property. To do this for all Lyrics contexts in your file,
you can add
\layout{
 \context{
   \Lyrics
   \override LyricText #'font-family = #'sans
anywhere at the top level of the .ly file.

On the other hand, if you want this specific file, you have to use the
(make-pango-font-tree ...) command, which unfortunately needs to know
the current staff size. One practical way to do it is to remove the line
myStaffSize = #20
from your .ly file and in your .lytex do
\begin[staffsize=11]{lilypond}
\paper{ myStaffSize = #11 }
\include "test.ly"
\end{lilypond}

If you also want to be able to run the same .ly file standalone, then you could
make a separate wrapper .ly file that just contains
\paper{ myStaffSize = #20 }
\include "test.ly"

   /Mats

Dominic Neumann wrote:
Hi,

I want to try to have all my lyrics typeset in a Sans font. Therefor
I´ve used a snippet from LSR
(http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=221):

%%% BEGIN OF SNIPPET %%%
\paper {
  myStaffSize = #20

  #(define fonts
    (make-pango-font-tree "Bitstream Vera Sans"
                          "Nimbus Sans"
                          "Luxi Mono"
     (/ myStaffSize 20)))
}
%%% END OF SNIPPET %%%

I substituted Times New Roman with Bitstream Vera Sans what isn´t a
very good way, I think.
When producing lilypond-output directly with lilypond this works quite
good, but together with lilypond-book the layout is very bad: the
barlines and stems are smaller than they should be to suit the size of
the noteheads.

I produced two simple examples to show what I did:

%%%% BEGIN OF PURE LILYPOND-FILE%%%%
\version "2.10.29"

\paper {
    myStaffSize = #20

    #(define fonts
        (make-pango-font-tree "Bitstream Vera Sans"
                          "Nimbus Sans"
                          "Luxi Mono"
        (/ myStaffSize 20)))
}

verseOne = \lyricmode {
    \set stanza = "1. "
    test bla blub -- ber
    test bla blub -- ber
}

\score {
    {
        <<
        \relative c'' {
            \key d \major
            \time 2/4
            cis4 d | e fis
            cis4 d | e fis
            \bar "|."
        }
        \addlyrics { \verseOne }

%%%% ENDOF PURE LILYPOND-FILE%%%%

%%%% BEGIN OF LYTEX-FILE %%%%
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\lilypondfile[staffsize=11]{test.ly}

\end{document}
%%%% END OF LYTEX-FILE %%%%

As you see, I cannot change the Staffsize and everything belonging to
it from within the LyTeX-file. How can I achieve this in another way?
I hope there is a more straight-forward way ...

Thanks, Dominic

PS: It seems that the \sans command only works within \markup
commands. So I cannot say "\sans" at the beginning of the document to
make everything appear in a Sans font.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems