Re: individually-coloured staff line possible?

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: individually-coloured staff line possible?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:12:12 +0100

Hi there,

On 9/14/07, Hostage_09 <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello-

I would really appreciate any ideas anyone has on this problem.

Is there a way of making a 5-line, treble-clef staff, with the middle line
(i.e. the B line) individually coloured in red? Here's what I have sofar but
I'm a bit stuck: (I'm only newly converted to lilypond!)

This is a very tricky situation; I'd imagine it requires some scheme hacking to do it properly.

        {
% tried to superimpose red 1-line staff onto normal black, but they're not
see-through
\override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #0
        << \Boo \Hoo >>
        }

The problem here is that the staff is in a lower layer for printing than musical objects like notes, which means that they mask out the red line. You could try changing the layer number so that the red line is always visible, i.e. \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'layer = #2, but this obviously has the side effect of over-printing everything (and you also need to keep the line alive even when there are no notes).

Regards,
Neil