Re: Reduce space between notes

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Reduce space between notes
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:26:35 +0200

The mechanism the determines the horizontal spacing is described in Section
"11.6.1 Horizontal spacing overview" in the manual. The default settings are
clearly not optimal when you have \breve and \longa in your score.
For example, you could try to add the following at the top of your .ly file,
to reduce the difference in spacing between long and short notes:

\layout{
 ragged-right = ##t
 \context{
   \Score
   \override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #0.3

Note also the setting of ragged-right, above, which you should use for these
single line test examples, so the example isn't stretched to fill the full line.
For normal music which spans several lines, that setting should be removed.

   /Mats

mojocojo2000 wrote:
I seem to be having trouble reducing the space between the breve/longa and
other notes,  For example this command - \[ g\breve e\longa \], leaves a
huge space after it.  I've tried messing around with notecolumns and such,
with no success.  My source code is below, so if anyone has some helpful
advice that would be great!

-----

\sourcefilename "whtmens.ly"
\version "2.10.29"

\new Score <<
     \new MensuralVoice  = "discantus" {
\clef "petrucci-c1" \time 3/2
                \relative c' {
                g'\breve \melisma a1
\[ g\breve e\longa \] f1 g2.\melismaEnd f4 \melisma g2 \melismaEnd a1 g4 f e1.. \melismaEnd
        \new Lyrics \with {
                fontSize = #-2
\override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -6) }
        \lyricsto "discantus" {
                Sanctus sanctus
        }

-----