Re: Half a \prall

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Half a \prall
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:19:31 +0200

On 17 Sep 2007, at 09:52, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

I discovered they can be produced using Unicode U+1D19D for the half Pralltriller, and adding U+1D1A0 for the half mordent. So the question becomes:

Can ornaments like \prall be created using Unicode characters?

Since you can typeset any unicode character in textual indications like
c^"Långsammare"
you can also insert the symbols you mention using your favourite text editor and
save the file using UTF-8 encoding.

Yes, that is the idea - I am using UTF-8 files in Xcode (Mac OS X 10.4.10). I have also found a Unicode font Euterpe that does it correctly:
  http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/Eimai/191

I also found (replies in the Unicode mailing list) some other Unicode fonts, but U+1D19D is designed wrongly, as a Pralltriller, instead of having only on peak and valley:
  http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/music.html
  http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
  http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/math.html
  http://www.decodeunicode.org/en/musical_symbols
Cf.
  http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html
  http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf

They have many other useful musical symbols, though.

So the question is how to choose musical symbols selectively from different fonts, and the make say ornament symbols from that.

  Hans Åberg