Re: On popular demand: Free Meter :-)

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: On popular demand: Free Meter :-)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:08:45 +0100

2007/9/18, Ted Walther <address@hidden>:
> I'm in the dark here.  Valentin, are you committing this to the
> development branch?  And will \increaseBarNumber then be available for
> me to use in the next developement release of lilypond?

I am certainly not committing anything; Rune might be, but his current
work on the accidental code will probably change the whole thing in
weeks.

However, LilyPond is extensible enough to allow users to provide their
own functions :)

-go to
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=327

-click on the image to see the source

-in the source, copy the definition of increaseBarNumber and hardbar.

-paste all this at the beginning of your .ly file; or else you can
create a new file, for example "functions.ly", and paste it there
(then you'll have to include it in your main .ly file)

-write your music happily, using as many \hardbars as you want!

-(optional) send a "thanks" email to Rune :)

-that's all

You'll be able to use it at least until 2.12, maybe even 2.13. Then
the code will probably change, but the LSR snippet will be updated.

By the way, if you too have some nice tips and tricks to share with
us, feel free to add them to the LSR as well (it's quite easy and
makes life a lot easier for everyone).

Cheers,
Valentin