Re: \breathe X-offset

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \breathe X-offset
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:29:21 +0200

Trevor Daniels wrote:
Mats

Many thanks - this works perfectly!

Could I have discovered this for myself from the
documentation?
Partly, but not entirely.
 space-alist is not mentioned in the 2.10
User Manual, and although space-alist is shown as one of the
standard settings for BreathingSign in the Program Reference
the list shown there mentions neither next-note nor
fixed-space.
You have to click on break-aligned-interface at the bottom of the page to
get more documentation of space-alist.
What's not documented anywhere, and I discovered myself very recently in a
post on the mailing list, is the possibility to add one entry to the list, using the
extended syntax: \override Object #'property #'subproperty = ...
which happens to work also here, since subproperties are internally represented
in exactly the same kind of list structure that is used in space-alist.
OTOH it _does_ say BreathingSign supports the
grob-interface, which says that X-offset is user-settable,
yet it is not.  Or am I misunderstanding something?
It's certainly settable! However, it seems that the value is never read.
The same holds in many other occasions as well, see for example
the documentation of minimum-length at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/spanner_002dinterface
Unfortunately, most of these dependencies are not fully documented and
I guess that providing an exhaustive documentation would be more or less
impossible, given the possibilities to extend and modify LilyPond using
inline Scheme code.

  /Mats