Re: GDP: partial rearrangement done, technical problems

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: GDP: partial rearrangement done, technical problems
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:23:52 +0200

On 20.09.2007 (00:55), Graham Percival wrote:

> GENERAL DISCUSSION

> - I still like the division of musical notation / instrument-specific? No?

I have nothing against it, as long as vocal music isn't stuffed in
there. :-)

> - Assuming that the technical issues are solved, how do you want these
> merged subsections to look?  Specifically, consider 1.2.3. Displaying
> rhythms.  There's

> Time signature
> - @commonprop
> - @seealso
> - @refbugs
> Upbeats
> - @refbugs
> Unmetered music
> - @refbugs
> Automatic note splitting
> - @refbugs
> - @seealso

> Do you like this format, or would you prefer one @commonprop at the end of
> each page?

I think it should be next to where the properties that are "commonly
tweaked" are described.
That particular section reminded me of something that's been bugging
me before: Lilypond has many defaults, which is fine, but somehting
like:

  Setting it to #'() uses fraction style for 4/4 and 2/2 time,

just makes me wonder: "why!?!" This is one of those cases where the
middle ground is missing between the beginner (who would take it as a piece of
information and that's that) and the programmer (who would know how to
look up the program reference.

> Do you want links to LSR stuff at the end of each portion, or
> just one set of links at the bottom of the page?

I don't mind.

> ... and are you guys _sure_ you prefer the manual like this?

Other than that I still don't like the headings "Displaying ..."
Thanks to the defaults, you are, for all intents and purposes,
displaying a rhythm by writing "c8", aren't you? For some of the
topics something like "Modifying the display/presentation..." might
work, but I'd like to see the reader who would go to a heading like
that to find out how to write a key signature.

Eyolf

--
Q:      How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:      One.  He gives it to six Californians, thereby reducing the problem