Re: tuplets (was: GDP for kids :)

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: tuplets (was: GDP for kids :)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:17:30 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2007/9/22, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:
>
>> The word "tuplet" is certainly used in Coda Music
>> Technology's Finale PrintMusic2000 manual, copyrighted
>> 1999, to mean "triplets, quintuplets, and so on". (I
>> used this before I discovered LP, and still have a
>> copy).  Don't know if this was the first occurrence
>> though.

The OED has it only as: "MATH. An entity or set with a given number of
elements, a vector."

Grove does not include it at all (only having duplet, triplet, etc).

That said, I've experienced the word in common usage (admittedly amongst
composers and contemporary music performers) for at least 10 years,
mainly as an easier way to refer to particularly large irrationals.

--
Mark Knoop