Re: GDP: welcome, helpers!

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: GDP: welcome, helpers!
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:42:27 -0500

On 9/23/07, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 9/21/07, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I've posted initial instructions for GDP helpers here:
> > > http://opihi.cs.uvic.ca/~gperciva/helper.txt
> > >
> > > If somebody could send those to the list (as a reply to this), that
> > > would make it easier for other people to read.
> > >

> > > ASIDE: I wouldn't believe this if I didn't see it for myself, but
> > > attempting to send that email to the list causes the switch in my
> > > parent's house to stop working.  My brother theorizes that the power
> > > output of my ethernet interface is too high, and thus it disrupts the
> > > router when I attempt to send large packets.
> > >
> > > We tried repeated experiments, and this is 100% repeatable -- when I
> > > attempt to send that message, via SMPT (to gmail), HTTP (via gmail
> > > webmail), or even scp (to the current host), our switch stopped working.
> > >   I had to bzip that text file in order to scp it.  (!)
> > >
> > > We're not idiots or unfamiliar with computers -- I'm doing a Masters in
> > > the subject, and my brother has a Ph.D in computer science.  This is
> > > totally amazing.
> >

> > Hi Graham,
> >
> > >Trevor, IIRC you didn't officially sign up as a helper, but you're in
> > charge of the "Inspirational Headwords".  If you could come up with
> > something for Pitches and Rhythms soon, that would be awesome.  Remember
> > that these don't need to be existing, famous pieces of music; a portion
> > of your own compositions would be great for Rhythms.  Also remember that
> > we can always update stuff later.  Let's get something to slap in there
> > to demonstrate the concept.  :)
> >

> > Will do.
>

> Hi Graham,
>
> Something like this? These are the closing measures of the first
> movement of the Ravel sonatine.
>
> I whipped this up just now right after getting back from a jog. If
> this is what we're looking for, then I have a couple of questions:
>

> 1. What on earth is going on with the slurs across the line break?
> Good heavens. Anyone know a way to get rid fo the ugliness at the
> beginning of the second line crossing through the key signature? (If
> not, I'll remove breaking slurs entirely.)
>
> 2. Is there a way to set slur attachment points to *end-of-stem*
> rather than notehead? The two-note chordal slurs would look better
> that way. If it's intensely manual I don't wanna mess with it; but if
> there's a smart way to make that specification, then cool.
>
> 3. Anyone know why the exta-offset on the final arpeggio seems to do
> nothing? The arpeggio should nudge ever so slightly to the left to
> avoid collision with the fermata.
>
> 4. If we do go with this snippet (for pitches, for example), I'd like
> to tweak the line breaking and spacing on the actual doc site to make
> sure the notation breathes enough; the rendering here is far too
> crowded (but I don't know the line length details that we're going to
> use on the doc site so I haven't bothered tweaking).
>
> 5. Can somebody with the score handy please proof? I whipped this up
> [...]

Oh, and here's the input:

%%% BEGIN RAVEL %%%

\version "2.11.33"
\include "english.ly"

#(set-global-staff-size 20)

\layout { indent = #0 }

\new PianoStaff <<
   \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
   \new Staff {
      \time 2/4
      \key fs \major
      <<
         \new Voice {
            \voiceOne
            fs''8 (
            ^ \markup \column {
               \line \bold { Un peu retenu  }
               \line \italic { très expressif } }
            es''16
            cs''16
            as'4 )

            fs''8 (
            es''16
            cs''16
            as'4 )

            fs''8 (
            es''16
            cs''16
            as'8
            cs''8 )

         }
         \new Voice {
            \voiceTwo
            r8 \ppp
            fs'4 (
            es'8 )

            r8
            fs'4 (
            es'8 )

            r8
            fs'4 (
            es'8 )

         }

      \clef bass
      <ds b! es'>4 (
      ^ \markup \bold { Rall. }
      \once \override Script #'padding = #2
      <ds' as'>8 ) \fermata
      \noBeam
      \clef treble
      \slurUp
      <as fs'>8 ( \pp

      <gs b cs'>4. )
      ^ \markup \bold { a tempo }
      \slurUp
      <as fs'>8 (

      <gs b cs'>4. )
      <<
         \new Voice {
            \voiceOne
            <as fs'>8 (
            ^ \markup \bold { Rallentando }

            cs'8
            b16
            cs'16
            d'8
            e'16
            fs'16

            <as! cs' gs'>4. )
            s8

            r8
            <cs'' as'' cs'''>4 \arpeggio
            e''16 (
            ^ \markup \bold { Lent }
            fs''16

            \stemDown
            <as'! cs'' gs''>2 )

         }
       \new Voice {
            \voiceTwo
            s8

            <gs b>4 \<
            <fs bs>4 \>

            s4. \!
            \slurUp
            \once \override Script #'direction = #up
            <a bs e'>8 ( \accent

            <as! cs' gs'>4. )
            <a' bs'>8 \ppp \>

            s8 \!
            \stemDown
            \once \override Script #'direction = #up
            #(set-octavation 1)
            % \once \override Arpeggio #'extra-offset = #'(-0.25 . 0)
            <cs''' as''' cs''''>4. \arpeggio \fermata
            #(set-octavation 0)
            \bar "|."

   \new Staff <<
      \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
      \key fs \major
      \clef bass
      \new Voice {
         \voiceOne
         ds'4 \tenuto
         cs'4 \tenuto

         ds'4 \tenuto
         cs'4 \tenuto

         ds'4 \tenuto
         cs'4 \tenuto

         s8
         \clef treble
         <b' cs''>8 [
         \clef bass
         <es b cs'>8 \fermata ]
         s8

         r8
         \clef treble
         <b' cs''>4 \tenuto
         s8

         r8
         \clef treble
         <b' cs''>4 \tenuto
         s8

         s2

         r8
         \clef treble
         <as' cs''>4
         \clef bass
         s8

         s8
         \clef treble
         <as'>4 \arpeggio
         \clef bass
         s8

         s8
         \clef treble
         <as''>4. \arpeggio \fermata

      }
      \new Voice {
         \voiceTwo
         ds'8 [ (
         < ds bs >8
         cs'8
         < ds as >8 ] )

         ds'8 [ (
         < ds bs >8
         cs'8
         < ds as >8 ] )

         ds'8 [ (
         < ds bs >8
         cs'8
         < ds as >8 ] )

         \once \override Script #'outside-staff-priority = #100
         \once \override TextScript #'outside-staff-priority = #500
         <cs, gs,>4. \fermata
         _ \markup \italic { ped. }
         <fs, cs>8 (

         <e, b,>4. ) \sustainDown