Re: tuplets (was: GDP for kids :)

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: tuplets (was: GDP for kids :)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:00:18 +0300

2007/9/24, Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden>:

> As Mark Knoop wrote, (indeed "das") "Tupel" is normally a vector and
> as a musical term seems to be as common as "tuplet".
> For the German tuplets named Duole, Triole, Quartole, Quintole/Pentole
> etc. the neologism would have to be "die Tupole", but I guess that's
> silly.

In French, no generic term exist; when we translated the documentation
we had to create a rather ugly mathematical word:
since the terms we use are
triolet ==> meaning triplet
quartolet
quintolet
etc...

We created the
"n-olet"
which is a neologism I haven't seen anywhere in French.

But when I'll translate the comic into French, I think I'll just use
"triolet" since it's by far the most common word.

Valentin
In order to also participate in this discussion, which also seems to confer to me ;-).
The German translator, being me, has decided to use as well the N-tole construct which I
remember having heard from my music theacher in high school. On other places in the
manual I used "rhythmische Konstruktionen", because the N-tole seemed to be so
mathematical to me. Actually it wasn't hard guessing the tuplet meaning, probably being
used to it from the Finale manual some years ago... but I hadn't heard of the word Tuplet
before.

Greetings
Till