Re: Changing ChordNames font

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Changing ChordNames font
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:02:29 +0200

On 27 Sep 2007, at 19:29, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

How does one change the font used by ChordNames?

Override the ChordName #'font-family property -- two obvious ways are

\layout { \context { \ChordNames \override ChordName #'font- family = #'Times } }

and

\new ChordNames \with { \override ChordName #'font-family = #'Times }

Actually, I experimented with things similar to the second, but did not get it work. I had to use the syntax: \new ChordNames \with { \override ChordName #'font-name = #'"Helvetica" }
If I try say
  \new ChordNames \with { \override ChordName #'font-family = #'Times }
I get a serif font.

When I add
  \override ChordName #'font-series = #'bold
then I do not seem to get bold. But that is not a big matter.

This also resolves the bug: It is the font Verdana that is somehow incompatible (too old?).

The trick is to get the right font-family name, as known to Lilypond on your particular system -- to see the "blessed font list", run the following command (from the command line in Terminal):

/Applications/Lilypond/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ lilypond -dshow-available-fonts

[n.b. Change the path as necessary to locate your copy of the executable.]

Thank you, I would not have figure that startup argument out!

Otherwise, I run Lilypond from the console (Terminal), using Xcode for editing, like
  lilypond file.ly
  open file.pdf
(One can set .ly files to open to ones favorite editor using the System Preferences panel Rubicode RcDefaultApps <http:// www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/>. I have set softlinks in ~/ local/bin/lilypond to the full path above, and added ~/local/bin/ to PATH in .profile.)

  Hans Ã…berg