Re: translations

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: translations
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:49:20 +0200

Le mardi 25 septembre 2007 à 09:01 +0200, michał poręba a écrit :
> OK, so first I will learn git and other tools you mentioned. Then I
> start with translating.

This sounds good.  README contains the minimal hints for using Git, but
it's also good to know a bit more, especially about the concepts.
README isn't the place for explaining Git concepts, so I hope they are
well explained in Git documentation, web site and wiki.  Anyway, if you
still have questions after reading all sorts of docs, ask on the
lilypond-devel list.

> Then I will start translating the web page as you say. And later we
> will see if there is still time to do tutorial translation. I see that
> you are hard working on documentation, reorganising everything. How
> may I fit in it with my translation? Should I work as a easy helper?

You are free to spend your time for LilyPond contributions as you
like  :-).  I suggest you to concentrate on translating the web site
first, because as Jan said it has a large audience.  Then, you'll decide
yourself whether it's more important for you to work on the English docs
or start translating in Polish, according to your taste and the work
needed to be done in the English docs.

>  Should I send my translations every week?

It depends of what needs to be updated and whether you have translated
new files.  The first translations you send should contain all files
marked with priority 1 in TRANSLATION, then you may send other
translations as you have done them.  You can send me translations
privately, or (only if the email is less than 64 KB) to lilypond-devel.

> Francisco, how do you check (and how often) if the page you have
> translated has changed?

A script (called check-translation.py) shows the change made in the
pages in English since the last time you made or updated the
translation.  More details are explained in README.

Checking and updating the web site translations once a week is enough --
twice is better if you have time.

Send any questions by private email, or if it may be interesting for
other translators to lilypond-devel -- I sometimes give instructions to
all translators on lilypond-devel list, so I expect you to be suscribed
to it.

Good luck with translations!
Cheers
--