Re: Proper use of Devnull

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Proper use of Devnull
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:19:23 -0700

According to some bug reports (specifically about shifted lyrics with devnull), devnull is not the proper solution to use. It might say otherwise in the manual; we'll be checking this in about a month.

Sorry,
- Graham

Francisco Vila wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to typeset a song that has two lyrics with different melismata in the same melody. I've found that the Devnull context may help, but I don't know why the lyrics associated to it appears with a slight displacement to the right (see attached PNG).

 % \version "2.11.32"

one = { c'1 }
two = { d'1 }
oneLyrics = \lyricmode { One }
twoLyrics = \lyricmode { Two }

\score {

<<
\new Voice { \one } \addlyrics { \oneLyrics }
\new Devnull = "hidden" { \two }                % \addlyrics { \twoLyrics }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto hidden { \twoLyrics }

}

From my limited knowledge it appears to be in voiceTwo, how is it forced to be voiceOne?

Also, if I uncomment the \addlyrics of the hidden part (and comment out the third line instead), then the hidden staff gets printed on its own staff (and properly aligned as a voiceOne). Why?

I'd thank a clue for learning it by myself, but maybe the manual is too terse in this matter.
Thank you!
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org