RE: Proper use of Devnull

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Proper use of Devnull
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:00:56 +0100

I said earlier and incorrectly:

> The related problem of placing brackets round notes which
> are to be ignored in some verses, like the initial g in
this
> example, is not supported in LP, AFAIK, although there are
> couple of messy work-arounds in the archives.  (Search for
>"brackets note")

Well, it seems I didn't K F enough!  LilyPond _does_ have
support for parenthesizing notes - the \parenthesize
command.  See section 8.5.8 Parentheses.  The function works
only within chord brackets, but this is not a serious
restriction. (I missed it because I searched for brackets
rather than parenthesize).

For the record, here is the corrected version of the example
with different melismata in the two verses which I posted
earlier, with a correctly parenthesized leading note:

<<
 \relative g' {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \time 4/4
  \slurDashed
  < \parenthesize g >4  g2 d4( g) a2( d,)
 }
 \addlyrics {
  \set ignoreMelismata = ##t
  O come, all ye faith -- ful,
 }
 \addlyrics {
  \set ignoreMelismata = ##t
  \skip 4 God of __ \skip 4 God, __ \skip 2
 }

Trevor