RE: multiple tempi in a single piece

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: multiple tempi in a single piece
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:44:20 +0100

Mats said:
> Trevor, why do you include the \override
> Score.MetronomeMark #'padding = #3.0
> setting? Since you just set the metronome marks
> transparent, they will
> still influence the staff spacing and if you increase
> the padding, the spacing will be even wider. If
> you don't want
> the tempo changes to influence the printed
> layout, I would rather
> recommend to use
> \override MetronomeMark #'stencil = ##f
> instead of transparent = ##t, which removes them
> completely, not
> just makes them transparent.

You're quite right - removing the stencil would be better
for the tempo changes which implement the fermata.

To explain the padding: the first metronome mark shown here
and some later ones (in other tempi variables) are meant to
be printed.  These set the tempi of the sections of the
piece.  The increased padding prevents collisions with
dynamic marks which often occur at the same time.

>    /Mats

Trevor

address@hidden
> On Behalf Of Kieran Coulter
> Sent: 10 July 2007 01:51
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: multiple tempi in a single piece
>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am sure there is a way to do this, but maybe someone
here
> has already faced this challenge and can help show me how
it
> can be done.
>
> My example is the Bach Sinfonia from Partita #2. It has a
> Grave, Andante, and Allegro, but the MIDI file plays all
the
> sections at the same speed, 120bpm. I am looking for a way
> to modify the .ly file so that it generats a MIDI file
that
> plays the Grave at say 40bpm, the Andante at 80bpm, and
only