Re: Long flat / sharp trills and trills ending at barline

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Long flat / sharp trills and trills ending at barline
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:47:08 -0500

On 10/5/07, Risto Vääräniemi <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I was searching for a method to add a flat / sharp sign to a long trill. I
> found a a couple of tips [1, 2] that helped me along but there was a small
> drawback, though. The custom TextSpanner / TrillSpanner aligns the wavy line
> at the bottom of the trill sign (see 2nd bar) or at the bottom of the flat /
> sharp sign (3rd bar). I tried to change the #'bound-details #'left #'Y
> parameter of the TextSpanner but I was only able to make the wavy line to
> ascend or descend. :-) I wonder if there are any other parameters, which
> would help adjusting the position of the wavy line.
>
> Another thing... It also seems quite difficult to make a long trill to stop
> at the bar line (not stopping at a note). It is possible but it requires
> some tweaking (using another voice with hidden notes). I tried to stop the
> spanner at a silent pause but the wavy line disappeared completely and the
> trill sign was thrown to the left margin. I found a property for the custom
> TextSpanner: #'to-barline = ##t but it doesn't seen to do the trick. Some
> sort of padding was proposed in [3] although tried to address a slightly
> different problem.
>
> I must admit that I'm not sure if any of the phenomenon I described are
> bugs. I was just experimenting with the trill thingie and came up with some
> problems. It also is possible that some of the trill markings are not
> "valid" or recommended but I have seen then used in some examples.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Risto
>
> [1] http://www.nabble.com/Sharp-and-flat-trills-tf2148083.html#a5931684
> [2] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg07544.html
> [3] http://www.nabble.com/Barcheck-and-TrillSpan-t4383866.html#a12497316
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p13060032/trb.png Snippet in PNG format.
>
> %%%%%%%%% Snippet start %%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.11.34"
>
> trstyle = {
>    \override TextSpanner   #'style = #'trill
>    \override TextSpanner   #'edge-height = #'(0 . 1)
> }
>
> trflatstartI = {
>     \trstyle
>     \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
>         \markup{\musicglyph #"scripts.trill"
>         \raise #1.0 \smaller \flat}
> }
>
> trflatstartII = {
>     \trstyle
>     \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
>         \markup{ \column{\tiny\smaller\smaller\smaller{\flat}
>             {\musicglyph #"scripts.trill"}}}
> }
>
> one = \relative c' {
>     f2.. \startTrillSpan f8 \stopTrillSpan |
>     \trflatstartI f2..^\startTextSpan f8 \stopTextSpan |
>     \trflatstartII f2..^\startTextSpan f8 \stopTextSpan |
>     f1 | <<f1\startTrillSpan {s2... s16 \stopTrillSpan}>>
> }
>
> two = \relative c' {
>     s1 | s | s |
>     \hideNotes f2... \startTrillSpan f16 \stopTrillSpan \unHideNotes |

Hi Risto,

(One of) the settings you seek is ...

   \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER

... which you can, for example, include in your definition of
trflatstartI. Like this:

%%%%%%%% New snippet %%%%%%%%%%%%%
[...]

Other goodies like this can be found under 8.1.2 "Trill and line
spanners" in the 2.11 version of the manual.

As far as #'to-barline = ##t ... I think that that *was*, in fact,
supposed to work in precisely this case, so that may be a bug; but
I'll have to run a few more testfiles first.

And, as a sidenote, the layered voices technique you're using is
pretty common tool for many of us on the list; even though it looks
like a pain when you first stumble upon it, the technique works
surprisingly well. Two notes, though: skips like s4 do behave
differently that (invisible) notes and rests for spacing purposes, as
you're discovering; that's perfectly normal (but I think there may be
a PaperColumn override to make skips behave the same way in the
spacing problem; again I need to check). Also, you can get rid of the
clashing note columns (which are quite common when you use hidden
voices) with the incantation ...

   \override NoteColumn #'ignore-collision = ##t

... which you can either set globally for an entire voice or score (or
call selectively).

I haven't adjusted the y alignment on trflatstartII; if you figure it
out could you post back to the list?

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača