Re: is it possible to glue two staff's together? (hymn solution)

From: Ted Walther
Subject: Re: is it possible to glue two staff's together? (hymn solution)
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:07:39 -0700

Wilbert, thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that just now, and it
doesn't work very well.  Here is an example PDF:

http://hymns.reactor-core.org/lilypond/refrain1.pdf

The result is, on the first line, the gap does get closed.  But when it
gets down to the line where the refrain is, sharing the line with the
main portion, there is an ugly gap between lines 2 and 3.

Also, for doing hymn refrains, often there will be a second, and
sometimes even a third or fourth part, where it goes all four-part
harmony on you, with the bass, alto, tenor, and soprano singing the same
part at different rhythms.  For the main part of the verse, the soprano
takes the melody, but in the refrain there is much more variety.

It would be nice to be able to do the main part and the refrain on
different staves, but to "paste" them together so they seem like a
seamless whole.

I suppose if the gap thing was fixed, I could make do.  But I'd like to
avoid typing in a whole bunch of _ for every refrain.

Ted