Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:53:53 +0200

Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2007 schrieb Joseph Wakeling:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using Lilypond 2.10.25 to typeset a piece (one of the Rose 32
> clarinet etudes) that incorporates a turn on the _second beat_ of a
> minim (half-note).
[...]
> The trouble is that the extra-offset element moves the turn a constant
> distance on the page, whereas I would like it to be offset by a
> _musical_ distance---that is, reliably falling on the second beat.
>
> I wonder if there's any way of achieving this?

You can achieve this by using parallel music (i.e. music expressions inside
<< ... >>):

\relative c' {
c,4.(\p e8 g c d \setTextCresc e)\<
<< {f2(\!} {s4 s4\turn} >> g4 f)
}

The two expressions in {..} inside the <<..>> will be laid out in parallel.
The second one contains only quarter skips, where you can assign the turn to
the second skip. Thus the turn will always appear on the second beat
correctly.

Cheers,
Reinhold