Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:14:09 +0200

Sorry for the confusion in my previous answer. A more precise statement
of what I tried to say yesterday is:
If you have polyphonic music and there was a note in some other
stave (or in some other voice of the same stave) one  beat after
the beginning of the f2, then the turn will be placed exactly on top of
that, if you use the << f2 {s4 s^\turn}>> construct. However, if
nothing else happens, musically, at that beat, it's
not really well defined where on the horizontal axis, the beat
actually appears, so you cannot really talk about right or wrong
placement.

Here's an example that illustrates some different options and
situations. As you can see, the difference between a spacer
note and an invisible note is smaller here than in your example,
probably due to that the spacing is more cramped in your example.

\score{
 \relative c'' <<
 \new Staff \new Voice{    % With other music in parallel:
   << { f2( } { s4 s4\turn } >> g4 f ) |
   << { f2( } { s4 \hideNotes d4\turn \unHideNotes } >> g4 f ) |
   \break
   % Single stave, single voice:
   << { f2( } { s4 s4\turn } >> g4 f ) |
   << { f2( } { s4 \hideNotes d4\turn \unHideNotes } >> g4 f ) |
   \break
   % Single stave, turn in a separate Voice context:
   << { f2( } \new Voice { s4 s4\turn } >> g4 f ) |
   << { f2( } { s4 \hideNotes d4\turn \unHideNotes } >> g4 f ) |
     % Hidden note also on the first beat of the f2:
   << { f2( } \new Voice { \hideNotes d4 d4\turn \unHideNotes } >> g4 f ) |
 }
 % Parallel staff during the first two measures
 \new Staff { \repeat unfold 8 c4 }

}
\layout{ragged-right = ##t indent = #0 }

  /Mats

Quoting Joseph Wakeling <address@hidden>: