Creating lead sheet "rhythmic slashes"

From: Federico Grau
Subject: Creating lead sheet "rhythmic slashes"
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:14:44 -0400

Hello Lilypond folk,

First, thanks for a wonderful product.  While I am still getting comfortable
with it, I have already begun to create nice looking scores with it.

Now my question; in "simple" lead-sheets, sometimes no actual notes are
written, instead only "rhythmic patterns" and chords above the measures are
noted giving the structure of a song.  I find such a feature useful while
creating/transcribing the structure of a song and also when sharing lead
sheets with guitarists or jazz musicians.

I see from the manual (section 6.7.7 measure repeats
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Measure-repeats#Measure-repeats)
that the "rhythmic slashes" can be made ... as part of a repeat.
Unfortunately I cannot figure how to _only_ make these "slashes", without any
initial note or rest.  Ideally the slashed could be made for multiple duration
values giving even more rhythmic information (ex: |c4 c8 8 c4 r4| ).

I have a simple example where I try to create these rhythmic slashes using
rests, silence, and regular notes online here:

    http://techweb.rfa.org/grauf/lily/rest.ly
    http://techweb.rfa.org/grauf/lily/rest.pdf
    http://techweb.rfa.org/grauf/lily/rest.ps

However none of these examples give only the slashes, except for the 2nd+
measure of rests which is not a feasible solution.

While I see the "pieces" are in lilypond, I ask the community for help in how
I may put together the pieces to get my desired results.

thank you,
donfede