Re: GDP: pitches second draft

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: pitches second draft
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:05:04 +0200

A few minor comments:

- Why are the links to the Program reference of LedgerLineSpanner and NoteHead in the subsection on Accidentals? To me it would be just as intuitive (or non-intuitive) to have these links some other of subsubsections of 1.1 Pitches, or even in 1.1 Pitches itself. The conclusion is: I would have to browse through a number of HTML pages to find these
 links.

- In Transpose, last paragraphs: It's certainly tricky to describe how to handle transposing instruments so that it's crystal clear to all readers. I would propose to
 replace the current text by

@code{\transpose} may also be used to input written notes for a
transposing instrument.  The previous examples show how to enter
pitches in C (or @notation{concert pitch}) and typeset them for a
transposing instrument, but the opposite is also possible if you for
example have a set of instrumental parts and want to print a conductor's
score. For example, when entering music for a
B-flat trumpet which begins on a notated E (concert D), one would write

@example
musicInBflat = @{ e4 @dots{} @}
\transpose c bes \musicInBflat
@end example

To print this music in F (e.g., rearranging to a french horn) you
would wrap the existing music with another @code{\transpose}

@example
\transpose f c @{ \transpose c bes @{ e4 @dots{} @} @}
@end example

- In Key Signature, the text describing the syntax for keySignature is not
  completely accurate. The value of this property should be a list and the
  current text describes the syntax for each element of that list.

- Instrumental transpositions: As is already mentioned, \transposition affects two things: MIDI output and quotations. However, only the MIDI output aspects are described in this subsection. I would recommend to at least copy the cross-reference to "Quoting other voices" already the first time the "quotations" are mentioned in this section.

- Sorry to bring out the issue of splitting subsections on several HTML pages again, but "1.1 Pitches" shows a typical example that the level 2 and 3 subsections don't contain anything of interest. As a reader, I will soon figure out that it's no use to click on a level 2 title like "1.1. Pitches" or level 3 like "1.1.1 Writing pitches", since it just contains links to other HTML pages, which I can just as well reach directly from the main table of contents for the manual. This means that if there are some subsections that actually contain some important information directly in a level 2 or 3 subsection, then most readers will never find it, since they will not bother to
 click on these titles.

  /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:
GDP has a new home, which should be much more reliable:
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/

(follow the link to GDP output)

This is the second draft of Pitches. Please have a look; it's been significantly updated. Remaining items are

Misc formatting:
- add more links to glossary
- maybe more links to other manual sections
- make sure the entire section is consistent in the general
  formatting

- clean up any TODO or FIXME items!!!
    - DO NOT bother with @lsr stuff right now.  We're getting tags
      setup with lsr, so this will change in the near future.

Please let us known if there are any other issues that should be addressed.

Cheers,
- Graham

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing