Re: GDP: introducing examples

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: introducing examples
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:58:36 -0700

Mark Knoop wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:

1)  The text just continues directly into

2)  The text suggests that one may do foo,

3)  The text directs the reader to the following example:

4)  The text forms a complete sentence.

Should allow all?  Specify one method?  Disallow one or two methods?

I prefer 4, 3, 2, 1 (in that order). But I don't think standardisation
is necessary, although perhaps an official preference could be specified.

That's my preference as well, although IMO #1 looks like a mistake (missing punctuation) -- my vote is to not allow #1, but let writers pick any of the other three methods.

Cheers,
- Graham