Re: Lilypond SVG output

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: Re: Lilypond SVG output
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:14:30 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival wrote:

> Benjamin Esham wrote:
> >
> > > [getting usable SVG output from LilyPond]
> >
> > FWIW, this how-to is now available from the LSR at
> > <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=334>.
>
> Great!  I'm very interested in this.  Is there any way to automate the
> inkscape step?  inkscape -T  does "export text to path", but presumably
> this doesn't handle the grouping/ungrouping stuff.

I have no way to automate the Inkscape step.  Inkscape has a semi-native
Python interface, so it might be possible to write a script to iterate
through all of the objects in the file and ungroup/convert them as
appropriate.

(In fact, that might not be too bad at all for someone sufficiently familiar
with Inkscape's Python interface... specifically, one would ungroup the
first couple of document-wide groups, which correspond to the output page.
Then, the document will consist of a bunch of one-element groups; for each
of these that contains a svg:text element, ungroup and convert the text
element to a path.  All of the others should be svg:rect or :line and should
be safe to leave as-is.)

Needless to say, it would be more beneficial overall for someone to simply
fix LilyPond's SVG output in the first place ;-)

--
Benjamin D. Esham
E-mail/Jabber: address@hidden | AIM bdesham128 | PGP D676BB9A