\paper vs \layout

From: David Bobroff
Subject: \paper vs \layout
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:21:02 +0000

I'm a bit puzzled about how to go about something. A \paper block can contain a number of things influencing vertical spacing. A \layout block can contain some of the same things that a \paper block can contain (unless I'm mistaken). While \paper blocks influence the entire document a \layout block influences only its containing \score block (correct)?

My current problem is that I'm making a transposition of an existing etude book for myself. I'm trying to contain it all in a \book block but I want to add \layout (or \paper) blocks to each \score block, where necessary, in order to get the practical layout/page turns in the original. I could do it with explicit \breaks and \pageBreaks but this strikes me as inelegant and kludgy.

With some experimentation I found that the useful controls:

page-breaking-between-system-padding
between-system-padding

...seem to do nothing when contained in a \layout block, but work when contained in a \paper block.

I've been trying to find some reference in the docs about about either:

A) Using such spacing commands with a \layout block or

B) Using (or discarding) a \book block while using \paper blocks with each \score block.

It is my current understanding that the last \paper block in a *.ly file will be the one used and any previous ones will be disregarded.

In short, I would like to have all of the essential musical information in one file and another file which \includes that file and sets it all up in a sequence of \score{} blocks with any necessary tweaks for each \score{} that will satisfy the page turns, etc.

-David