Re: Better vertical spacing in 2.11 adversely affects lyric spacing

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Better vertical spacing in 2.11 adversely affects lyric spacing
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:25:45 +1100

On 10/30/07, Monk Panteleimon <address@hidden> wrote:
> It appears that 2.11 is trying to keep single staves from occupying their
> own (last) page. That's a good idea too but, at least in my case, it seems
> to be doing so at the expense of good lyric spacing in a ChoirStaff.
> Lyrics should be equidistant from higher and lower staves, right?

I'm not sure -- I wrote the code but I don't usually use lyrics. It
was suggested to me (I can't find the email) that lyrics should stay
close to the staff to which they are attached. So when lilypond
stretches the systems (to better fill the page) it leaves the lyrics
close to the staff above. This is described, along with the relevant
overrides, in the 2.11 manual (the section on vertical spacing).

If someone can suggest a better default algorithm for the placement of
lyrics in stretched systems, I'd be happy to hear it (although
probably not until 2.13).

Joe