Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 59, Issue 78

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 59, Issue 78
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:40:55 +0200

Monk Panteleimon wrote:

I think its not that easy. I would use ChoirStaff as well for polyphonic
music with only one voice per system, but as well I do songs, like the
SATB example in de appendix, but with only one voice in the middle. It
appeared somehow logical to me to use ChoirStaff for that two. But if we
have it well enough documentated, we could have a VocalStaff and a
ChoirStaff with different spacing.

I am curious to know whether anyone who does a lot of vocal music (of
any variety)
actually thinks that the current (2.10) vertical lyric spacing is
problematic. Was it changed on its own merit or as part of other changes?
Even with the keep-fixed-while-stretching set to ##t to fix the distance
>from the lower staff, I still altered my engraver-init.ly in 2.11 to match 2.10's,
since some of the systems wound up too heavy on the bottom.

I actually LIKE the 2.11 system! But I don't set that much music on the other hand, so maybe there are some situations, that I just don't encounter. But the peace I had begun some time ago on 2.10 and now finished on 2.11 got really enhanced! I am only missing a centered align for piano staves (to put dynamics into) and likewise one for choral music (for the lyrics).

Greetings
Till