Dynamics and arpeggios too close to bar lines

From: Benedict Singer
Subject: Dynamics and arpeggios too close to bar lines
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:35:27 -0700

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on this list, but now with a composition teacher, I'm using Lilypond regularly again. Thus, I have some questions about a few issues that have been bugging me, having to do with music elements too close to or overlapping with bar lines. This is with version 2.10.33. The first of these is arpeggios on the first note of a bar; the arpeggio squishes right up against the bar line, making it hard to read. This problem could be solved by moving to 2.11, which I just tested; however, I'd prefer to stay on the stable branch. Also, my second problem was not solved by 2.11. This relates to dynamics in the Piano centered dynamics template. Hairpins and dynamic marks tend to brush right up against, or even overlap (the mp mark is one of the worst) the bar lines. If there's one tweak involving bar lines that would solve both these problems, then that would be great; however, from a quick look at the reference docs on bar line objects, nothing was obvious. Alternatively, tweaks to the arpeggio objects or the dynamic objects would work instead. Thanks in advance guys!

Benedict