Horizontal Lyric spacing in 2.11

From: Monk Panteleimon
Subject: Horizontal Lyric spacing in 2.11
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:47:43 -0400

> Am Mittwoch, 31. Oktober 2007 schrieb Till Rettig:
> > I actually LIKE the 2.11 system!

I have no problem with it insofar as it redistributes the systems over a
different number of pages and solves some problems with the header. But
it doesn't really take lyrics into account (yet).

And Reinhold Kainhofer (observantly) says:

> I just tried one of my choir scores (ChoirStaff with two stanzas written
> between the two staves for SA and TB) with the current git version. The
> lyrics are tied to the S voice, but in 2.10.x, the lyrics were still centered
> between the two staves. Now in 2.11, the lyrics seem to be glued to the SA
> staff (when using ragged-bottom=##f and ragged-last-bottom=##f), so they are
> quite far away from the TB, which make the scores absolutely unusable for
> choir use.

Amen, brother. That's what I'm stressin.

> Here it seems like there is more space between the staves of a system than
> between two systems.

Yup. And since a ChoirStaff is for choirs, I repeat my question:
Would anyone *want* this to be the case for *any* type of of multi-voice
vocal music? Even if you have polyphony instead of chorale, would you
want a big white space while the basses wait for their entry?

I know it's possible to fix it with a tweak. I'm pointing out my
problems with it because I assume that making something funky and then
explaining a recondite tweak to fix it is not the ideal order of
things. Discussion of this kind of issue is what development versions are for,
correct? If I'm thinking poorly again, please let me know.