Re: Dynamics and arpeggios too close to bar lines

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Dynamics and arpeggios too close to bar lines
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:06:02 -0400

Hi Benedict,

having to do with music elements too close to or overlapping with bar lines

If you check the archives, you'll see that I had been complaining about this for a long time -- I'm quite happy with the fix(es) in 2.11.31+, so I've stopped griping! =)

This problem could be solved by moving to 2.11

Correct.

I'd prefer to stay on the stable branch

If I'm not mistaken (dev: anyone care to confirm?), a 2.12 release is imminent.

This relates to dynamics in the Piano centered dynamics template

I think this template has been (unofficially) deprecated: there are better ways of accomplishing the same thing.

Hairpins and dynamic marks tend to brush right up against
or even overlap (the mp mark is one of the worst) the bar lines.

True, but unfortunately I don't know of an automated way to solve that problem -- I simply manually tweak each "problem child". Maybe someone else out there has the "silver bullet" we're both wanting to find??

Alternatively, tweaks to the arpeggio objects or the dynamic objects would work instead

Don't forget the two powerful features

    \once \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(m . n)

and

    \once \override DynamicText #'X-extent = #'(m . n)

where the grob name (in this case, DynamicText) can be replaced with almost anything (e.g., Arpeggio), and the parameters (m and n) are adjusted as required.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.