Re: Dynamics and arpeggios too close to bar lines

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Dynamics and arpeggios too close to bar lines
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 12:54:24 -0400

Hi Benedict,

Would you consider the 2.11 branch stable enough for general daily use?

I *only* use the development branch for *all* my engraving -- and I'm talking about production of scores for commissions I'm getting as a working composer! For example, this past summer, I composed the music for a full two-act/two-hour musical in only 7 weeks; I cranked out the scores (sometimes *as I was composing them*) using the then- current development branch/version of Lilypond.

For the record, the one "regression" (to stable branch) I've ever been forced to make was while I was writing my chamber opera last spring, and I ran into a bug with pedal indications.

Would I recommend this "business strategy" to the faint-of-heart?
Of course not!
[And I know for a fact the developers explicity recommend AGAINST it.]

But I imagine this answers your question about whether or not I think the development version is "stable enough for general daily use"... ;-)

Really? What are these ways?

1. Stop using #'forced-distance (if it even still works?) -- PianoStaff now works just like StaffGroup, with regard to vertical spacing. 2. Put dynamics in one of the "regular" Staff contexts (I tend to choose the upper/RH staff), and adjust the various #'minimum-vertical- extents and #'padding properties (of the Staff and its DynamicLineSpanner) to suit; likewise, put pedal markings in the lower Staff context and tweak placement.

plus, see my suspicion above about why the dynamics overlap the bar lines.

I *don't* think doing this (as opposed to having it in a Dynamics context) will necessarily fix that... but it sure couldn't hurt! =)

Best regards,
Kieren.