Re: microtones for makkam music notation

From: Adam Good
Subject: Re: microtones for makkam music notation
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 03:39:07 +0100

Hi Dimitris,

You are welcome to get get in touch with me in regards to using Lilypond to notate Turkish makam music. I'm very busy with it these days notating Peşrevs and Saz Semaisis and some vocal repertoire though i hope to do more of that soon.

All key sigs for any makams are possible, especially with my handy- dandy include file. Technically I suppose Turkish makam theory and notation are supported while Arabic maqam notation is not. But all accidental characters for basic Arabic notion already existed in Lilypond even before Han-Wen went to work on the Turkish stuff.

Probably it's just handy for me to send you some examples and you take it from there but do keep in touch, it's nice to know that there are others out there that are interested!

also it's very nice you suggest it, you are welcome to contribute financially to the project. It's already paid for but I can put you in touch with the guy who fronted the most. He's a very good friend of mine and actually I'm living on his couch this week in Vienna.

I think you'll be very pleased with how Lilypond is working for this music.

Hope to hear from you,

Adam Good