RE: Measure runs off PDF file after 5 8th notes in 4/4 time

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Measure runs off PDF file after 5 8th notes in 4/4 time
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:03:05 -0000

John

The usual cause of this behaviour is because LilyPond cannot
find a suitable place to break the line.  Line breaks can
occur only at 'complete' bars, ie where the last note(s) in
the bar in all staves end(s) at the automatically inserted
barline.  If any note carries over no break can take place.
A single wrongly inserted duration can progagate this
condition though many bars.  A bar check will generate a
warning at each check where a carry-over of duration occurs.
If carry-overs are intended, a manually inserted bar can
indicate to LP that a break may occur.  Other things that
can prevent a line break are a sequence of manually inserted
beams or tuplets which straddle barlines.

Trevor D