Re: [OT] Critique a Short Essay on Free Music?

From: Michael David Crawford
Subject: Re: [OT] Critique a Short Essay on Free Music?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:06:11 -0800

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> how is this text itself licensed? Would you mind if I translate it
> into French, and post it on my own website (with full credits, and a
> bunch of links to your website, of course)?

Hi,

That's a complicated question.

Generally, I place works expressing my personal opinion under the CC Attribution-NoDerivs license, and that had been my plan for a web page that will include the essay as a subsection.

But the case insert on which I plan to print my essay is part of a larger compilation, that will be available via BitTorrent, that is otherwise CC-Attribution-ShareAlike. Besides the case insert, there is the label printed on the CD itself, the front of the case insert, the scores in PDF and Lilypond format, and of course audio recordings of my music.

Including a NoDerivs document in a DFSG-Free compilation (Debian Free Software Guidelines) renders an otherwise Free work as Non-Free. It would have the same problem as the GNU Free Documentation License, which provides for invariant sections which may not be altered, expressly for the purpose of expressing opinions!

However, as I am the copyright owner, I have the right to grant you a separate license of any kind. And I would be *honored* if you translated my essay!

I just request that you wait until the final draft is *completely* finished. I had hoped to complete it today, but the work of relicensing my music from by-sa 2.5 to by-sa 3.0 is taking a lot longer than I expected. There is a lot of artwork to revise, license notices on several web pages, all my sheet music...

The essay is too important to me - and too important to those who might read it - for me not to do the best job on it I possibly can. I'll wait to regenerate my torrents, if need be, to do right by my essay.

Thanks! -- Mike
address@hidden
http://www.geometricvisions.com/ <-- Creative Commons Sheet Music