Re: New user, linux, Xp, jEdit, Lilypond tool, cutting and pasting

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: New user, linux, Xp, jEdit, Lilypond tool, cutting and pasting
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:14:51 +0100

As far as I can understand, most things you ask for are already available,
in the form of the LilyPond user manual (where you can click on every
single example in the on-line copy to see the corresponding LilyPond code
and the LSR (goto www.lilypond.org -> Documentation -> LSR).

  /Mats

Frederick Dennis wrote:

Dear All,
I am a new Lilypond user. I have processed some single staff scores, and found the transpose function quite easy and useful. I had a problem with collisions between grobs and notes but discovered how to use the padding to move things, thanks to some advice. This was on OpenSuse 10.2 using a text editor, a file selector and a terminal. Unfortunately, the machine was an old, slow one. Now I am trying Lilypond in Windows XP, which will, hopefully, speed things up. Browsing the letters, I came across a very helpful one which mentioned jEdit and the Lilypond tool which can be installed as a plugin. First you have to install Java runtime environment 1.4 or later. Within the jEdit, once setup with the plugin, you can run a wizard which will set up your score in great detail, saving lots of coding and brain-ache. A very useful REM (comment) says: Insert your notes here. jEdit colours the various components of the coding, enabling easy analysis. Also, errors are immediately underlined, enabling swift correction (in the case of simple errors). As regards documentation, there is plenty of it. Would it be an idea to include quite a lot of simple, entire examples, as snippets still have to be incorporated within one's code and the full examples contain many complexities which are peculiar to themselves and not useful in other contexts. I am thinking of say, two-part inventions, three-part inventions, hymns, simple piano pieces e.g. Bergmüller, small symphony movements e.g. Mozart's 1st, flute sonata movements (J.C. Bach for instance). It is then possible for the novice to simply cut and paste, having compared the code with the pdf. You could then process endless hymns, symphonies whatever. For any particular feature, the novice could be referred to a short, simple but complete code and have the pdf to see its effect. Cutting and pasting is easier than trying to understand or remember complicated code. Yes, I know that you can build up your own library, I'm thinking of the novice.

A problem I have encountered is the version number. When I process the welcome file, I get 2.10.0 but when I ran some other code, I got 2.10.33 What is an external error? My jEditor says there are no errors, but Lilypond will not process the code.
% Created on Mon Nov 05 23:43:17 GMT 2007
\version "2.10.33"

\header {
    title = "1. Eclipse"
    composer = "Pam Wedod"
    meter = "Gently - with a little movement"
}

\include "english.ly <http://english.ly>"

staffAltoSaxophone = \new Staff  {
    \time 4/4
    \tempo 4 = 72
    \set Staff.instrumentName="Alto Saxophone"
    \set Staff.midiInstrument="alto sax"
    \transposition ef,
    \key ef \major
    \clef treble
\relative c' { r1 r1 e4. ( d16 c) b4.( a16 g e2) r8 a( gis b)

% bar 5
e4.( c16 a) f'4.( e16 d e2)\< r8 f( g e)\! a4.\mf( g16 f) g4 c,
f4.( e16 d) e4 a, b8(\> c d2) c8( b)\!

% bar 10
a2 r2 r1 a8(\p\< b c e) b'\!\( a\> e c)\! d2. c8( b)

% bar 14
a2. r4 r1 r2 a'8 g e d e d a b c4.(\> b8\!

% bar 18
a2) r2 a'8 g e a, c4.(\> b8\! a2)\p r a4(\poco c b\> gis

% bar 22
a2)\a  r2 r1 e4.\mf( d16 c) b4.( a16 g e2) r8 a8(\< gis b)\!

% bar 26
e4.(\mp c16 a) f'4.( e16 d e2\<) r8 f( g e)\! a4.\f( g16 f) g4 c,
f4.( e16 d) e4 a, b8(\> c d2) c8( b)\!

% bar \mp
a2 r2 r1 a8(\mf\< b c e) b'\!\( a\> e c)\! d2.\p c8( b)

% bar 35
a2. r4 r1 e'4. ( d16 c) b4.( a16 g e1)\> r1\!^\fermataMarkup

    \bar "|."

staffPiano = \new PianoStaff {
    \set PianoStaff.midiInstrument = #"acoustic grand"
    \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = #"Piano  "
                    \tempo 4 = 72
            <<
        \context Staff = "RH" {  % Right hand
            \clef treble
            \key ef \major
            \relative c' {
\context Staff = "LH" { % Left hand \clef bass
            \key ef \major
            \relative c {

\score {
    <<
        \staffAltoSaxophone
        \staffPiano

\midi {
    }

    \layout  {

\paper {
}

By the way, I am wearing my asbestos coms in anticipation of the flames.
Frederick Dennis.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems