Re: Concept for Newbies

From: Francois Planiol-Auger
Subject: Re: Concept for Newbies
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:06:55 +0200

Hi again,

Am Dienstag, 6. November 2007 10:47 schrieben Sie:
> I don't really understand yoru proposal. Who would do the extra support?
> Is there really a need?
>
> Of course, anyone who feels enough an expert to be able to offer such
> support is free to start such a service. However, I don't think that
> anybody of us who regularly provide answers on the mailing lists now
> would be able to spend much more time if he got a few dollars per
> month in return. Han-Wen tried to make a living based on implementing
> sponsored features, but it didn't work.
>
> The bottom line is, LilyPond is free software implemented and supported
> by enthusiasts on their spare time.

Thats true, but I often noticed that Musicians without an idea of real
computer working are rebuked because it seems to them, lilypond is something
more mathematical than musical, and not intuitiv.

We know here, that it is not so. I think that the solution of helping
personaly people would help them to find the way to lily at their very
beginning.

As far as I can read here are most of newbies coming with a computer
background (I mean: they know how to write Programms, whats a shell is and
what you can do with it etc). I didnt and it was for me very difficult to
find the really first beginning, before I understood what it was about in the
list. I would have been helped to have a kind of lily-confident for 2 or 3
Mails to help my start.

So know I still good remember this begin and can offer to help that kind of
people, one at a time. The topics are: Who feels like me here? And: How will
musicians know of it?

Greetings

Francois