Re: trouble with piano staff dynamics

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: trouble with piano staff dynamics
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:01:31 -0500

Hi Wilbert,

But will the dynamics work on the midi output of the left hand?

Well, I was just talking about the LOOK of the engraved score...

\score
{
        \new PianoStaff
        <<
                \new Staff = "upper" << \dynamicUp \RHMusic >>
                \new Staff = "lower" << \LHMusic >>

}

If you want dynamics that apply to both, then you could use three identifiers:
    dynamicsRH = { ... }
    dynamicsBH = { ... }
    dynamicsLH = { ... }

Then, in the .ly file,
1. In the \score (ENGRAVING) block, include the \dynamicsRH and \dynamicsBH in the right-hand Staff context, and the \dynamicsLH in the left-hand Staff context; and, 2. In the \midi (PERFORMANCE) block, include the \dynamicsRH and \dynamicsBH in the right-hand Staff context, and the \dynamicsLH and \dynamicsBH in the left-hand Staff context.

There might be a better way -- this is just off the top of my head...

Hope this helps!
Kieren.