Re: minimum after-BarLine space in 2.11

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: minimum after-BarLine space in 2.11
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:59:06 +0000 (UTC)

Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

> Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
> > Op woensdag 7 november 2007, schreef Kieren MacMillan:
> >
> >> \override BarLine #'space-alist #'next-note = #'(semi-fixed-space . 1.2)
> >
> > \override BarLine #'space-alist #'next-note #'semi-fixed-space = 1.2
> >
> It's not equivalent to Kieren's answer, but it's much better, since it
> keeps all the
> other settings of the space-alist for BarLine objects.

According to my (somewhat limited) understanding, I believe that both constructs
keep the rest of the space-alist settings.  The first construct would set the
next note property to '(semi-fixed-space . 1.2) and eliminate any other elements
in the next-note property, if they exist.  The second construct would update
only the semi-fixed-space element of the next-note property, retaining any other
values that might exist.

Is my understanding incorrect?

My mental model is that

\override ItemHavingProperties #'foo #'bar #'baz #'frob = value

will set the frob property in the baz subchain of the bar subchain of the foo
alist-chain.

It would also be possible to  set

\override ItemHavingProperties #'foo #'bar #'baz = #'(frob . value)

but this will set the baz subchain value to (frob . value) and eliminate any
other items in the baz subchain.

If I'm wrong, please help me understand things.

Thanks,

Carl