Re: How do you pronounce "LilyPond"?

From: Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos
Subject: Re: How do you pronounce "LilyPond"?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:35:25 GMT

> From: Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>
>
> This native American English speaker pronounces the "i" as in "kill" and the
> "y"
> as in "Sheet", although it's not quite stressed as much.
>
> Given Miguel's options, I'd code my pronunciation as [lili:}.

:-)
I think you mean [lIli], the : means that the vowel lasts longer, double
duration, that's only good for "sheet", "reed", etc...
The letter I wrote as "I", which is in regular phonetic alphabet a small
upper case I is the one you use in "kill", a not very open "i" typical of
germanic languages (english, icelandic, swede, etc...).

> Given what I know of French pronunciation, I'd pronounce the "y" like the "i"
> in
> "lit" or "Lisette".  And as I mentioned before, the "i" is like the English
> "kill"; I can't think of a French word with the same pronunciation.
>
> Carl Sorensen

I don't think there's any. As a hobbist choral conductor, I think I can get
the right result by saying the ugly "sh**" word, everybody knows how to
pronounce that one.

So, there seems to be two ways of pronouncing Lily, [lili] and [lIli], which
sound the same to us latin language speakers anyway. We can hardly
distinguish those two, we're known for that.

Greetings,

Miguel