Re: GDP: preferred terms

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: GDP: preferred terms
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:58:46 +0100

On 15 Nov 2007, at 00:57, Graham Percival wrote:

I've started a list of preferred terms in policy.txt.  These are words
where people have asked me which spelling/term we prefer, and I don't
want to give different answers to different people.

I think this is a bit late; I'm certain that I've flip-flopped on "bar
lines", but at least this time (once they're added to this list) I won't
change my mind again.

There's a few more terms to add to this list:
- "bar" vs. "measure".  Whenever possible, we use the same term as the
internal lilypond syntax uses... but I've seen both bars and measures in those docs. Should we just leave this up to individual doc writers, or
pick one word?

"Harvard Concise" suggests using "bar line", i.e., the line delimiting the measure, and measure, the stuff usually delimited by the bar lines. I think the use of "bar" meaning "measure" is informal.

- "barline" vs. "bar line".  I believe that the lilypond syntax is
"barline", but that could just be because we can't have spaces in
property names.

The dictionary above and Merriam "Webster's Third New International Dictionary" uses "bar line", and Hindemith "bar-line" (1946). As for LilyPond syntax, probably best to give words forms that are easy to remember exactly when typing; so "barline" would be fine to me.

  Hans Ã…berg