Re: LSR -> lilypond docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LSR -> lilypond docs
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:49:34 -0800

Valentin Villenave wrote:
2007/11/15, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:
As I have said earlier, I think it would be a big loss if the
web site could not provide the full documentation for
multiple old version, including a "complete" set of example files
with the correct syntax for the corresponding version.

This is one of the reasons why I still haven't fully understood the
point in tagging LSR snippet as "docs": if a snippet is documentation
relevant, then it should probably be added to the documentation as a
"real" example, shouldn't it?

Do you mean "documentation" or "manual"?

- if something is in the manual, it can only be upgraded by about half a dozen people on the planet -- me, Mats, John... maybe some of the other developers if it was really urgent. Note that none of the GDP helpers are able to do this.

- if something is in LSR, it can be upgraded by anybody. OK, you need to approve the change, but if necessary we could have more LSR editors. I mean, the only technical ability you need is the use of a web browser (instead of git, building the docs, permission to upload to lilypond git, etc).

- if something is in LSR and is tagged with "docs", it AUTOMAGICALLY becomes part of our documentation. The "Snippets" link on the main doc page points to files built from input/lsr/*/ . This is part of our _documentation_, although not part of the _manual_.

Oh yes; anyway, I'm fine with LSR running 2.10.
I've just rewritten the LSR contributing page with that in mind, and
I'm fine with my idea of marking not-yet-working snippets with "[needs
LSR upgrade]" or something. I know you're not fond of it, but as long
as it applies to  a dozen snippets it's perfectly manageable.

There's another dozen such examples in input/new/ . I really don't see the point of adding them until LSR is upgraded.

- Graham