Re: GDP: chattiness in @seealso

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: chattiness in @seealso
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:55:41 -0800

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
I'm not sure what the conclusion is, but maybe we can reformulate the original question into:
- Should we introduce some new concepts under @seealso or should this
 always be done in the main text?

Let's go with "main text". I'm not completely dead-set on this option, but I don't think anybody is going to seriously argue against it.

- For issues that are somewhat peripheral and just need a short intro and a
cross reference, should they be described in running text or in an item list?

The problem with an item list is that it raises questions about anything which is _not_ on the list. For example, @ref{Ties} doesn't appear in the item list in Durations. And if we move all the explanations away from the @seealso, it would seem really weird to include @ref{Ties} in the main text, then again in an item list in the main text, then _again_ in the complete reference list in @seealso.

So right now my vote is to describe anything which needs describing in the main text.

- Under @seealso, can we find a nice layout that allows for a mix of pure links which already have self-explanatory names, with links that need a sentence of
 explanation?

I can't think of any /nice/ layout. A list that alternates full-sentences and single-word references is going to look weird. A typical comma-separated horizontal list would still look slightly awkward even with the parenthetical remarks.

With all that in mind, I'm proposing that we move all sentences into the main text, and have a simple
@seealso

Notation Reference: @ref{foo}, @ref{bar}.

- Is there a need to repeat all links from the main text also in @seealso?

Perhaps not a need, but I feel a strong desire to do so. It's a simple enough job for the Formatters.

A side comment: in "Durations" under @refbugs, the term "glyphs"
is used several times. Is this is term that is well-known to all readers, or
is it only known to hackers?

I deliberately decided not to spend time agonizing over this. I just dumped Han-Wen's email in that section. As a general rule, the @refbugs will be more technical, harder to understand, and may possibly be a simple copy&paste from a hacker's email or bug respose.

Making @refbugs easier to read might be something to schedule in the third round of GDP, but certainly not before that. (first round: making GDP presentable again. Second round: making GDP significantly better than 2.11 in all respects. Third round: perfection)

Cheers,
- Graham