RE: Piano Centered Dynamics and bar collision - again

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Piano Centered Dynamics and bar collision - again
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:47:50 -0000

Kieren MacMillan wrote on 10 December 2007 14:28

> However, it did give me a brainstorm that might
> be helpful: is there
> a way to wrap (by default) every dynamic in a
> white outline? That
> way, the font outline would mask out the barline
> immediately around
> the f (or whatever the dynamic is), as I've often
> seen in hand-
> engraved scores.

Well, there is, although I didn't know it until I
went looking!  You have to change the dynamic into
a markup to do it, but it does seem to allow the
printing of dynamics across barlines in a way that
looks good.  The key command is \whiteout.  Try
this:

\version "2.11.34"
\paper {
  ragged-right = ##t
}
\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = RH {
    \clef "treble"
    \relative c'' {
      c1
      c4_\markup \center-align {\whiteout \dynamic ffff}
      c c c
  \new Staff = LH {
    \clef "bass"
    \relative c { c1 c1 }