Re: Scaling durations

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Scaling durations
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:15:16 -0700

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

Deacon Geoffrey Horton wrote:

I'm not looking at triplets (or tuplets) here. I've got a piece
entered in 4/2 time, and I'd like to convert it to 4/4 without going
through and manually altering all the durations. If the manual says
how to do this, I must not have looked in the right place.

Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck re-entering the durations?

That would not be something I would expect LilyPond to do. I sounds like a job for some kind of script or just the replace function of whatever editor you are using. First replace all of the smallest duration (32, 16, 8, etc.) with half of that duration and then do it for the duration twice that long, etc.

One solution was posted today, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-12/msg00171.html
Great!  That's a sophisticated script which is what I said.

In contrast to Paul, I definitely think this is something that
is highly relevant to do within LilyPond. Consider for example
typesetting of medieval music that often used 4/2 or 3/2 notation
(even though they used different nomenclature at that time) and
you want to typeset two versions of the piece, one with the
original notation and one with modern typesetting practice
and all durations scaled down to 4/4 or 3/4.
I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't relevant to be done with LilyPond. It just didn't seem to me to be logically doable. And indeed the solution was to write some code. All the better that it could be done with Lily's framework! :)

Paul