Re: Smaller PDF, shrinking away largeness

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Smaller PDF, shrinking away largeness
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:11:07 +0100

It would be interesting if you could investigate what has been "removed".
Do the new files still contain the same fonts? Are they embedded the same
way?

I really hope you turned off point-and-click in LilyPond, otherwise the
comparison is completely uninteresting.

  /Mats

daf wrote:
In the interim, PDFCreator is a free win utility and does a great job of
stripping the extra bytes away: simply install, select PDFCreator as your
printer and print.  The resulting output can be 80% smaller, or more.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

By way of example, I downloaded the mutopiaproject.org version of BWV853b,
bumped up the global font size to 16, and expanded it to 5 pages.  The
LP-generated PDF was 528K.  The PDFCreator version was 90K.  I did not
notice any degradation in print quality, but I tend not to notice stuff like
that anyhow.  And YMMV.  But in the interim, the time it takes to do the
extra print step should pay off handsomely for your dialup email recipients.

Best,

Jay

PDF files seem larger than [they used to be],
is there something I can do to shrink them?

Laura Conrad added:
My users complain about this too.

For me, the bottleneck is email transmission, where 130K vs 1300K is
still significant (approximations for current project).

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology