Re: Removing time signatures (yet again!)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Removing time signatures (yet again!)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:56:48 +0100

You have misunderstood the syntax. Just move the
\once \override commands within the curly braces,
i.e. keep them together with the actual music.

By the way, are you sure that you want to use the "\once",
which means that the time signature will only be removed
on the first staff line, not later in the score.

There are several other alternatives to do this kind of
property settings, for example if want to make one setting
that applies to all staves of all scores. These things are
described in the manual, but I have an idea of how to
explain it more clearly and hopefully I will get the time to
update the manual soon, based on these ideas.

 /Mats

Bob Harvey wrote:

Hi,

Please forgive my limited understanding of musical notation and scoring -- I am
very new to this whole area, so my use of terminology might be clumsy or
incorrect.  I have explored several of the different approaches, that I have
found in these lists, to removing the time signature.  However all the ones I
try work OK if you only have one stave, but not if you have two (a treble and a
bass clef).  So, the script below works to remove the time signature for the
treble clef stave, but not that for the bass clef.  If you remove the comment
above the bass clef stave it parses OK but produces something quite odd (to my
eyes, anyway) and certainly not what I expect or desire.

\version "2.10.5" \relative c { << \new Staff \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f { \clef treble \partial 4 d' } \new Staff % \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f { \clef bass \partial 4 f, } >> }
What I want to get is exactly as this script produces, yet without the time
signature for the bass clef.  Hope someone can help.

Regards, Bob.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems