How do I put parentheses around some notes?

From: Father Gordon Gilbert
Subject: How do I put parentheses around some notes?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:44:04 -0500

Hi all,

I'm reproducing a Christmas carol from a book I have, mostly in order to transpose it.  The composer and poet are both long dead, though, so the piece is public domain afaik.

Some of the lines of lyrics have a leading note (a \partial 4), but some of them have no leading note.  In the book, these notes are enclosed in parentheses.  The piece is in four voices (SATB) so the notes for each of these locations are naturally in different places in the ly file.  But how do I put parentheses around these (only sometimes-used) notes?

Also, what about dotted slurs for when one or more syllables are sung to a pair of notes?

I've searched the manual for these two items, but can't seem to locate them.  (A pointer to the section would be helpful.)

Windoze XP Pro, version 2.11.32

Thanks, and have a Merry Christmas,

Fr. Gordon Gilbert+