Percussion Discussion

From: Reilly
Subject: Percussion Discussion
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:29:29 -0500

What is the experience in the Lilypond community regarding percussion notation?

Background: It will come as no surprise to the Lilypond community that there is much variation regarding best practice in music engraving. Whenever I am engraving music, I consult contemporary scores and historical scores back to Haydn. I consult all the major and minor books on music notation. Usually, I have to choose among a handful of recommendations on any engraving issue. The current development version of Lilypond (2.11.26) does a superb job on most details.

I want to develop a consistent style guide for unpitched percussion notation (for my own use). In general, I believe the simplest notation is the best. Thus, for single instrument, unpitched percussion I like to use a one-line staff. In preparing this email, I've consulted about 20 contemporary scores and the variety in unpitched percussion notation is staggering. Here is a short summary:

        1 line
        2 line
        3 line
        5 line
        stems up in 1-line notation
        stems down in 1-line notation
        "floating" whole rests (above the 1 line)
"floating" whole rests (above the 1 line but hanging down from a stubby line segment)
        whole rests hanging from the 1-line staff
        half rests under the 1-line staff
        half rests  sitting on the 1-line staff
        NO rests at all during tacet passages
        NO staff at all during tacet passages
        Time signature placed between staves

I am asking for comments regarding consistency and clarity in writing for unpitched percussion.

Jeremiah