Re: Staff and voice definitions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Staff and voice definitions
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 13:37:28 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote:

My understanding is that a voice needs to be associated with a staff in order to
get the notes printed in a staff.  However, the voice is not a sub-context of a
staff, because the voice can be switched to be part of a different staff.
At every moment, it is a sub-context of one Staff context. However, as you point out,
a Voice context can move from one Staff context to another Staff context.
Can I assume that the creation of a music which goes between the {} is
separate from the staff?

If you don't explicitly create a voice, a voice context is automatically
created, and associated with the current staff.
See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-02/msg00206.html
with followups for a related discussion.

   /Mats