Re: Printing music parts and scores

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Printing music parts and scores
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:49:47 -0500

Hi Jeremiah,

Once again, your comments have helped me clarify my problem.
I now realize that I have three problems

Every time I try to help someone, I make it my personal goal to at least triple the number of problems they originally thought they had! ;-)

(1) hi-res output. I can do 1200 dpi at home but only on 8.5x11. I can enlarge my output.

Yes!

(2) Reproduction: The local copy center (Capital Copy for the Capital of Vermont) can do the enlargement.

Yes!

Which leaves, Problem #3:
(3) PAPER? What do you do for paper?

I special order reams of tabloid paper (ivory, opaque, heavy stock) for my at-home printing needs. At Kinko's, if I don't bring my own paper, I ask for the most similar stock they have.
At a litho, I special order from the available samples.

do you print onto heavy 9x12 (9.5x12; 10X13) paper for orchestral parts?

Yes: I print double-sided 11x17, laid out on the page with 9x12 "crop marks", and then trim the output by hand (with a standard paper guillotine).

18X12 inch paper for two page folded orchestral parts?

Never done it myself.

Photocopy paper and 8.5x11 sizes doesn't cut it.

Agreed.

Maybe big city Kinko's stock speciality paper, but I am going to have to order paper cut to my specifications.

As mentioned, I did that, and often bring my own paper to Kinko's to substitute it for theirs -- sometimes, they'll even give me a discount! [p.s. If you give them a PDF file, you can almost always demand that the ripping charge be eliminated.]

What about full size conductor's scores?
Do you print onto 11x17 heavy weight paper?

I tend to go 10x13 for orchestral scores -- similar to the large Barenreiter hardbound scores (e.g., Mozart symphony).

Do you spiral bind the score?

I don't like spiral bindings, nor any of the similar options.
If I'm not doing (or able to do) a full signature-sewn -- I have a "local guy", Don Taylor, who is AMAZING -- I try to get the highest- quality "perfect" binding I can find.

I have a big project which requires 6 copies of the score and a complete set of orchestral parts (49 parts).

Good luck!

This is my biggest project to date and I am finding that the *quality* is in the details

Isn't that always the case?  =)

Best wishes,
Kieren.