Re: Volunteering with LilyPond

From: Reilly
Subject: Re: Volunteering with LilyPond
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:51:13 -0500

Graham and fellow Lilyponders:

I have been following the discussion of Graham's planned departure from the Lilypond team and other recent discussions on the extent to document code in style sheets and tweaks. I began using Lilypond in the summer of 2007, after rejecting demo versions of the major commercial notation software. It has been a rocky transition from pencil and paper to digital notation. The output from version 2.11.35 is quite good and much better than 2.10. I would like to contribute back to the Lilypond community which has been very helpful to me, but, unfortunately, I cannot *commit* at this time. This doesn't mean I cannot help, just that I cannot commit. (The truth is, my life is in shambles financially speaking --- no different than many other musicians?)

No offense to everyone who has worked on the documentation for Lilypond, but the documentation is the weakest component of the package. The index often lacks entries for my questions. The entries more often than not, do not address my problems. The coded examples are often "too clever" and don't illuminate my ignorance. Obviously everyone wants to make the documentation equal to the programming. That is why the GDP is underway.

Suggestion:

Collect a team of "Lilypond MUSIC Consultants." This could be the general lilypond-user group or a subset. Volunteer members would agree to answer questions. The GDP team should *not* spend time researching answers to musical or notational questions IF they can find a "local Lilypond user" who knows the answer. For instance, take the questions below: